Here’s a proven way to easily start your own local news website. The possibilities for profit are endless. You will be a favorite in your community, a leader, and a well-known mover and shaker. Best of all, your news site costs you less than a weekend in town.
Your news site is nothing more than a few short stories anyone can write, a few photos, and a few simple videos made by yourself on YouTube.
That’s all you need.
In this article I will show you how to create your news site. But first, let me tell you why NOW is a great time to start.
The news business is BIG. Newspapers used to suck up 80 percent of advertising dollars in any city, leaving crumbs on TV and radio. The news industry was a comfortable world for a long time. I worked in the news business for 20 years, so I speak from experience.
But Then Two Very Terrible Things Happened
1. The internet came and Google Ads started to generate millions of dollars in advertising. Big companies are learning that they can get results faster and cheaper with pay-per-click compared to expensive newspaper ads.
2. The Great Recession dried up revenue and the city’s newspapers with hundreds of employees and expensive facilities began to swell. News of the “depression” started in 2006 and continues to get worse.
Today many cities and towns do not have many newspapers anymore. They have reduced staff, far less news, and their website mostly draws news from out of town services. It looks like news, but it doesn’t matter to the locals. Worse, TV and radio mostly “borrow” their news from newspapers.
Here’s Your Chance
Where there are problems, there are greater opportunities. Large and expensive news organizations are being replaced by very small groups of people, sometimes as small as one person.
A solo operator, working alone or with a few helpers, can produce a great news product at a very low cost. That leaves a lot of room for profit.
There is plenty of room for good news websites that report positive stories, interesting happenings, and help promote local businesses.
How to Create Your Own News Site in 6 Simple Steps
1. Get a domain name that includes the name of your city or region.
2. Create a clean and fast loading website with a column for business news, a middle column for local news, and a side column for community and school news.
3. At the bottom of the page, include some videos that you created and posted on YouTube. These can be short, simple videos about local places and happenings. People LOVE finding videos of local places on YouTube. Be sure to write a title, description, and keywords that include the name of your city, where your video was made, and even the names of the people in the video.
4. Update your news website every week or two. Save old news pages in a folder for “latest news.” Link to your old news from the home page. Be determined and keep posting news. The more you post, the more results you will get.
5. Mention as many local names and places as possible. The first thing people enter into a search engine is their own name.
6. Have a link or banner that goes to your site or ad page. Offer to include stories about local businesses along with YouTube videos, and perform services for a fee. This is where you will make most of your money. When you are known around town as a news person, all sorts of profit possibilities will materialize.
This setup gives search engines a LOT to chew on. Your YouTube videos and news are great and interesting local content that will eventually spread throughout Google.
I keep a cheap Flip video camera in my coat pocket. When I’m touring town for my daily errands, I look for anything I can record a quick video of. The super simple software that comes with the Flip lets me edit videos and load them on YouTube with a few clicks.
Today the brightest minds in the news are in a hurry to find new business models. This business plan is tailor-made for solo operators. Best of all, it’s very cheap and easy to do.